Your Awards

Check your Outstanding Requirements

In some cases, the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships will need additional information before we can offer you an award. To view what information we need from you, go to your Student Account account and:

  1. Click on the “Financial Aid” Tab
  2. Choose “Outstanding Requirements” from the menu options.
  3. Select the appropriate Aid Year from the drop down menu; hit submit.
  4. Click on each unsatisfied requirement to review what is being requested. Some forms are electronic forms and require online submission while other forms are downloadable and require printing hard copies and attaching other documents as needed.
  5. Submit all printed documents by fax, mail or in-person. We do not recommend emailing documents to our office, especially forms that contain personal information like Social Security Numbers.

Be sure to remember to check for any Outstanding Requirements throughout the term to ensure that your aid disbursement is not delayed.


Specific messages posted to your account

If the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships needs a specific answer to a question, we will post a detailed message that addresses the issue that needs resolved This message can be found by going to your CAMS Account:

  1. Click on the “Financial Aid” Tab
  2. Choose “Financial Aid Status” from the menu options.
  3. Select the appropriate Aid Year from the drop down menu.
  4. “You have active messages” will be present if you have messages from our office.

Understanding your Award

Student financial aid awards can be affected by your cost of attendance, fund availability, and annual and cumulative fund limits. Nearly every eligible applicant will receive an offer of some form of student assistance, although this may be limited to student loans.

Although many factors go into calculating your student financial aid award, a few concepts are key to understanding your award:

  • Cost of Attendance
  • Fund availability
  • Fund limits
  • Information about each type of aid you are offered

Please be aware that your financial aid package may be affected by any unreported outside resources.  Submit an Outside Funding form to update the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships with any outside resources as soon as you become aware of them so your financial aid package may be adjusted accordingly.

Cost of Attendance Breakdown

Financial aid is based on the estimated cost of attendance and your enrollment level. Below is the estimated cost of attending full time for two terms during the standard academic year (Fall / Spring). Your actual room and board, transportation and personal expenses may vary from these estimates; however, it is these estimated expenses which are used when determining your eligibility for aid.

Types of Aid and Availability

The type of aid available to you depends upon your student status and your enrollment level. The chart below describes the types of aid available. All federal and state programs offered by the office of financial aid, except the federal Pell grant, require at least half time enrollment.

Types of Aid Undergraduate Enrolled Full-time Undergraduate Enrolled 3/4 or 1/2-time Graduate Enrolled 1/2 or Full-time Post-bac Enrolled 1/2 or Full-time
Pell Grant Yes Yes + < 1/2-time No No
Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) **** Yes Yes No No
Work Study Yes Yes Yes No
Subsidized Stafford Loan Yes Yes No Yes***
Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Yes Yes Yes Yes***
Parent PLUS Loan Yes* Yes* No Yes*

*Parent PLUS Loans are available to the parents of a dependent undergraduate or post-baccalaureate students contingent on a credit check. For more information, or to apply online, please visit our Loan’s Page.

****Federal SEOG is only available to students who are also receiving a federal Pell Grant for the same aid year.

Second Bachelors Degree or Undergraduate Certificate, annual limits:

Second Degree or UG Certificate Subsidized Stafford Unsubsidized Stafford Total
Dependent Students $5,500 $2,000 $7,500
Independent Students $5,500 $7,000 $12,500

Your enrollment level for financial aid purposes is the same as your enrollment level with the Registrar’s Office which is based on your student type. If you are not sure about your enrollment, please consult the chart below: (Note: The chart below applies to all terms, including Summer)

Full time 3/4 time Half time Less than 1/2 time
Undergraduate 12 or more 9-11 6-8 1-5
Second Bachelors 12 or more 9-11 6-8 1-5

Fund Limits

Funds with Cumulative Availability

Some aid funds are limited to a maximum number of terms or overall dollar amount:

  • Federal Pell Grants: Eligible students may receive the Pell Grant for up to  12 semesters, the equivalent of 6 years at full-time enrollment.  For students who are enrolled less than full-time, remaining eligibility will be prorated, based on enrollment status.

Annual and Cumulative Stafford Loan limits

The Federal Stafford Loan program has both annual and cumulative (lifetime) maximums. Annual limits are determined by your grade level and cumulative maximums depend on whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student. Read more about Annual and Cumulative Stafford Loan Limits.

Other limits

Other types of limits may apply to your overall award or to combinations of funds. For instance Institutional Aid (reduction in your tuition) may come from a variety of departments on campus, but when taken as a whole, can never exceed your total tuition.

Since your cost of attendance represents an overall cap on your student financial aid award, funding that comes in after your initial awarding (such as outside scholarships) may in some cases reduce your eligibility for aid that is already on your award. When this occurs, we will reduce your overall award down to your cost of attendance by reducing or removing the least favorable types of aid first (in most cases student loans).

Types of Aid

There are many types of aid that may be included in your award. This page provides some abbreviated information about Federal and State Grants, Loans, Scholarships and Institutional Aid, and Federal Work Study.

Unless otherwise stated, these funds require you to have submitted a FAFSA and completed any follow-up requirements before you are eligible. If you have specific questions about anything on your award or don’t understand something on this page, please contact our office for additional assistance.

Federal Rules Affecting Pell Grant and Stafford Loan Eligibility

Pell Grant eligibility is limited to 18 full-time quarters or 12 full-time semesters. Read more about Calculating Your Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility.

Graduating seniors: If you have fewer than 36 credits remaining in your program and are enrolled less than full time, your Stafford loans will be prorated.


Pell Grant

The Pell grant is a federally funded need based grant program available to eligible undergraduates. Pell eligibility is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated from your FAFSA. It is available for full-time, three-quarter time, half-time and less-than-halftime enrollment, depending on EFC. Pell Grant is limited to 18 full time quarters (12 semesters).

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The SEOG is a limited federal grant available to Pell eligible undergraduates enrolled in a minimum of six credits. The amount of award is prorated depending on enrollment levels. SEOG is not available for the summer term.


A moderately low-interest, need based loan only available to eligible undergraduate students. Interest does not accrue during in school deferment. Repayment begins six months after recipients are no longer enrolled at least half time.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

A moderately low-interest loan available to eligible undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate students enrolled at least half time. Unlike the Subsidized Stafford loan, interest does accrue on this loan while the student attends school.

Parent PLUS Loan

The Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a federal loan for parents to borrow on behalf of their dependent students. The parent PLUS loan has a moderately low fixed interest rate. For parents to be eligible to borrow this loan, students are required to be enrolled at least halftime (6+ credit hours). Parents must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen and pass a credit check.

Alternative Loans

Many lenders offer alternative/private education student loan programs. These are separate from the Federal Stafford and PLUS loan programs that ABC administers and are not federally regulated lending programs. It is recommended that all students first apply for Federal Financial Aid before applying for alternative or non-federal funding because terms/interest rates vary on alternative loans. These outside resources will be taken into consideration when determining eligibility for financial aid. To apply for an alternative loan, apply directly with the lender of your choice.

Scholarships and Institutional Aid


Scholarships are free aid to help fund your education. In addition to filing a FAFSA, scholarships have separate applications because they can take into account a variety of student characteristics (eg: academic achievement, financial need, diverse and unique backgrounds, leadership skills, specific majors and career choices, first generation status, service to school and community, or disabilities).

Institutional Aid

Institutional Aid are a reduction of the costs of your tuition and generally do not cover mandatory fees such as: building, incidental, recreational, and health fees nor do they cover course-specific fees. Most Institutional Aid require you to enroll full-time. Some institutional aid do not require filing a FAFSA, and some are available during summer term. The total of your Institutional Aid awards can never exceed your tuition charges. If you have been awarded  Institutional Aid as part of your award, there will be additional information as part of your award acceptance.

Federal Work Study

Work Study

This federally funded financial aid program enables students to earn money toward college expenses by working on campus, in the government, or in selected nonprofit agencies serving the community. Students may work up to twenty hours a week while classes are in session and receive a monthly paycheck (based on an hourly wage) that they can use for educational expenses.

Applicants must complete a FAFSA and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) no greater than $12,000 to qualify. Federal Work Study funding is very limited, and is typically exhausted very quickly. At this time there is no waiting list for students who were eligible but not awarded Work Study funds.

Undergraduates must enroll in 6 credit hours or more for Work Study employment. Students awarded Work Study must present a Certificate of Eligibility (available in the Office of Student Financial Aid) to their employer. Work Study jobs are listed in The Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Students may also be eligible to earn Work Study funds during Summer term if they are awarded Work Study for the upcoming award year, the funds of which can be applied to summer.

Accept your Award

Once you have been awarded, you will receive a notification via US mail, email, or both.

Each piece of your award can be accepted or declined individually. So if you wanted only to accept a federal work-study award, but no student loans, you could change the decision next to work-study to “Accept” and the decision next to student loans to “Decline.” Finalize your award acceptance by clicking “Submit Decision.”


Disbursement Overview

Financial aid disbursement begins ten calendar days before the beginning of each term for students who are enrolled at least half-time and who have met all other aid eligibility requirements. If the amount of financial aid for the term exceeds the amount of tuition and charges, a refund will be processed.
The Census Date is at the end of the second week of each term. This Census Date is used for all terms, including the summer session. Financial aid for the term may be adjusted to reflect the student’s official enrolled credits as of the Census Date if that enrollment level differs from the enrollment level at the time of disbursement. Credits added after the Census Date cannot be added to increase financial aid unless students complete a Census Appeal Petition.



All Student records are handled within FERPA guidelines. Only the student is able to ask questions regarding his or her specific information with staff via phone or email or in person by presenting an official ID. Generally, any dollar amounts related to FAFSA application data or award types and amounts will not be shared on the phone for any student.
If you wish to have your specific information shared with a parent, a spouse/partner, or an outside agency, you must make this request by completing a Confidential Release Form and submitting it to the ABC Office of Student Financial Aid prior to any information being released.


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

It is important to be aware of your academic progress and how it impacts financial aid eligibility.
Incoming students’ Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be assessed after each term. If you have not made satisfactory academic progress, the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships will work with you to get you back on track academically and help you keep your financial aid eligibility. Click here for the complete SAP policy for all undergraduates who have attempted between 0-45 undergraduate credits. If you are an undergraduate with 46 or more attempted credits,
The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships encourages you to come to our office for regular counseling to assess your academic progress and establish plans for the future so that you continue to achieve your academic goals and maintain your financial aid eligibility.

© 2019 Sofarider Inc. All rights reserved. WordPress theme by Dameer DJ.